Heeling on both sides?

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Heeling on both sides?

Postby Densa44 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:37 am

As an old retriever guy and now a hunter who runs multiple dogs I train the dogs to heel on either side. I was told by an expert field trial friend that the dogs don't care, he was right.

It gives you/me advantages in the UT test, I can cut the vision off from things that I don't want her to see and vice versa, make sure she sees things (decoys) that she should see. There are advantages in the heeling test and the mark in the U.T. testing.

When I am running more than one dog it makes it easy to keep the dogs close to me, and one on each side is way better than 2 on the left.

I'm curious to know if other v-dog trainers do this, or is it only very old retriever guys?
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Heeling on both sides?

Postby Dmog » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:43 am

I have trained my Griff and PP to heel on either side. Makes heeling down the narrow dock to the boat easier. When they heeled together on the left they tend to squeeze each other and was just as easier to correct by heeling them on either side.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:08 pm

I will teach my current pup to heel on both sides. I think it is useful on lining a dog on a retrieve at times and preventing cheating the water vs taking the line.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:22 pm

Yes, both sides. At times I can have 5 dogs heeling at once.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:29 pm

I do it but I am an old retriever guy so there is that. They learn it how you teach it.
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:12 am

Willie T wrote:I do it but I am an old retriever guy so there is that. They learn it how you teach it.

Ditto and it's influential for both marking and blinds if they (retrievers) are started early. On blinds, two-sided heeling is often used for flipping the dog from one side to the other, particularly on a poison bird blind - if they aren't taught it early some dogs may not go from the side they're unfamiliar with for being sent. Also, my intel is Kiger1 (or Kiger2, I forget which) may have come up with a training innovation that uses a silent whistle blown out of the respective side of his mouth that he wants the dog to heel from. Next he may use a silent harmonica to have 'em heeling on both sides at the same time, just not sure how the laws of physics will work for that one... :wink:

MG
crackerd
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:46 am

MG,

I actually have been working with Stanford on heeling on both sides at the same time. https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... taneously/

But Im more excited about teleporting. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... icles.html

Imagine a portable transporter where we could send the dog directly to the bird?

I know, kind of complicated, if I were you I would just focus on heeling on one side. Let me know when you get that mastered.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:16 pm

I used to train both sides but when I lost my left eye I now only do right side - I like to see where the dog is out of my peripheral vision as I walk /move and can't do that to the left anymore
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:48 pm

I was never really a fan. I guess I'd say I was neutral, not against, not for. It started as a way to block your dog from unwanted falls or as an honoring tool. I just trained the dog's and didn't worry about it.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ccccrnr » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:55 pm

I just train to heel on the left,
i use to try to teach both sides but it seemed to confuse the dog, and i have other training stuff i want to get to

but if i'm training a dog for someone else and they ask for heel on both sides then i will teach it, but if not requested/required i just teach to heel on the left

i also (normally) work with 1 dog at a time
ccccrnr
Started
Started

Postby marysburg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:54 pm

I had always heeled my dogs on the left, and then I got flushers. A coach told me that dogs should be able to heel on either side, and that is what I teach now. I have different commands to indicate the two sides, and the dogs are fine with it. It does come in handy in the field.
marysburg
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Training