Pigeon Coop Design

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pigeon Coop Design

Postby JTracyII » Tue May 26, 2020 8:57 am

Hello All,

My current pigeon coop of about 7 years is rotting. Doors are literally about to fall off. I am going to either build or have built a new one. I may go with my current design which was an 8 ft long X 6 Ft wide X 4 foot tall rectangle set up on blocks with a front and a back door and a divider in the middle with a hole toward bottom for them to access front to back and vice versa. It has worked fine, but I am open to other options. What features have you found helpful and that make life a little easier in your design? Post pics if you wish. That would help too.

Thanks in advance.
I-80's Classy and Couragous, UT III, 190 pts, NA 112 pts.
Oxbow's Kindle the Fire, UT I, 201 pts, NA 108 pts.
Cross Timber's Above and Beyond, TBA
https://crosstimbergundogs.com/
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Pigeon Coop Design

Postby Urban_Redneck » Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Mine is 4x7 , about 24" off the ground. The 4/12 shed roof has a generous overhang on the service door side. Windows are expanded metal lath which is much stronger than hardware cloth. I have two, 1'x2' screened sections of the floor to aid in ventilation. If I built another, I would likely put 2 doors for better cleaning access .
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue May 26, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks for the response. I was wondering how many birds you keep in there? My current one has about 20 birds at any given time. I think the design I am settling on is similar to yours, perhaps. I am thinking about doing a 4 X 8 footprint with a sloped roof towards back, set off the ground a bit on legs, and a walk through door on one side. My current one has a divider in the middle separating the nesting box area and the aviary, but I am thinking about leaving it all open this time with nesting boxes towards the back of coop. I am constantly having to go back and forth from the front to the back of my current coop to gather birds. Do you have a divider? Can you walk into yours? My current one I cannot, but I think I'll put a solid enough grated floor in this time so I can step into the coop to clean everything when needed and make catching birds with a single door easier.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:57 pm

Catch box.

Box on one end you can force them in, drop a door and then open exterior door to reach in and catch them. I hate messing with nets.

Swinging door up high, say 18 inches by 2or 3 feet that you can pull a cord to open it to let them fly.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue May 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Kiger2 wrote:Catch box.

Box on one end you can force them in, drop a door and then open exterior door to reach in and catch them. I hate messing with nets.

Swinging door up high, say 18 inches by 2or 3 feet that you can pull a cord to open it to let them fly.

Would you make the catch box all wire or wood?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Wed May 27, 2020 5:59 am

JTracyII wrote:Thanks for the response. I was wondering how many birds you keep in there? My current one has about 20 birds at any given time. I think the design I am settling on is similar to yours, perhaps. I am thinking about doing a 4 X 8 footprint with a sloped roof towards back, set off the ground a bit on legs, and a walk through door on one side. My current one has a divider in the middle separating the nesting box area and the aviary, but I am thinking about leaving it all open this time with nesting boxes towards the back of coop. I am constantly having to go back and forth from the front to the back of my current coop to gather birds. Do you have a divider? Can you walk into yours? My current one I cannot, but I think I'll put a solid enough grated floor in this time so I can step into the coop to clean everything when needed and make catching birds with a single door easier.

I keep 20-25. Having the coop well off the ground help with ventilation and to help keep vermin and insects from working their way in.
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:08 pm

Jtracy,

Im not sure if it matters??? Mine was wood. But see no reason why wire wouldn't work. Just up high so you can force them into it. My coop was 12 ' long, 8' high about 6 deep. Built on the side of my barn. The weather end, (west) was closed, about 4 feet of the front on the west end was closed also. Walk in on the east end. Nest boxes on barn and west end. Im sure Ive had at up to 50 at times.

No platform inside the return bobs. Dominant birds will sit and not let the birds in. Door to close off the return so hawks don't get in. I think I've had 5 over the years get in.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion