Need advice: Serious big game hunting rain jacket

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Need advice: Serious big game hunting rain jacket

Postby ryanr » Tue May 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Okay, I've been doing some research and I think I've narrowed it down, looking for anybody that have used either of these:

Sitka Cloudburst jacket OR First Lyte SEAK Stormtight jacket?

The most frequent advice I came across on reviews and other forums was both are great jackets, go by the fit you like best. Any of you big game hunters have either one? Appreciate any feedback.

After 20 years with my previous waterproof deerhunting parka, I need a new shell jacket and I want one waterproof and windproof with pit zips and one that will last. These are my final 2 choices.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Need advice: Serious big game hunting rain jacket

Postby bwjohn » Tue May 12, 2020 9:32 pm

I have no opinion on either of those, but I have been looking at Kuiu, I think that is right. Have you looked at their offerings?

good luck on the choice, brandon
bwjohn
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Tue May 12, 2020 10:00 pm

Here on the wet west coast, the Sitka and Kuiu are popular.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue May 12, 2020 10:33 pm

Kuiu was under serious consideration as well. Actually the Kuiu Chugach NX is back under strong consideration after realizing I overlooked a feature that I thought it lacked.
Last edited by ryanr on Wed May 13, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 am

No experience with any of that but those brands all have good reputations for quality. I hunt with guys wearing Sitka and they like it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed May 13, 2020 8:39 am

If you go to ifish.net, there's lots of rain gear discussions because everyone here wears it. Don't let the name of the website make you think it's all about fishing. You may have to dig a bit in old posts.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed May 13, 2020 10:57 am

Thanks Orhunter, yeah I've actually been reading reviews not only on each product site but also on hunting/fishing forums. I do this whenever I'm researching a potential purchase.

Performance-wise, it doesn't seem like I can go wrong with any of them, including the Kuiu jacket. It seems it's really a question of preferred fit and the one I like the looks of best. I went into this originally wanting the Sitka Cloudburst and just figured I shouldn't limit it to.just looking at one.

I'm looking at replacing both jacket and pants for my big game hunting, after getting 20 years out of a waterproof, insulated Cabela's brand parka and bibs. So I want to invest the money in gear that will last pretty much as long as that. Expensive initial output but actually a real bargain if ya get 15-20 years out of it, even just 10 it's still a bargain. IMO.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby murdock84 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:05 pm

I have the Kuiu Chugach NX and love it. Nice and light. I actually have mine for duck hunting and it has been great. It is always with me because I use it as a windbreaker for those cold long rides. 15 miles one way on the rough Chesapeake taking numerous splashes and I stay dry. I only know of one other guy that has some Kuiu stuff and I did not know that until I saw him wearing it on a bay in New Jersey. I didn't want to spend the money for Sitka gear and thought I would try something different. I know have a pair of the rain paints and a zip up hooded sweatshirt from Kuiu. I keep an eye out for their sales and try to buy something each year. The rain jacket was the first thing I bought to replace my outer coat of my 20 year old Columbia Quad Parka.

First Lite is another brand that seems to get good reviews. I see some of it getting used on the east coast.
murdock84
Pup
Pup

Postby mastercaster » Sun May 17, 2020 1:01 pm

I bought the Sitka Cloudburst jacket and pants last year and hunted with it on two different extended moose hunting trips, as well, as some day hunts. Had lots of rain, sleet, and wet snow, and snow and stayed dry as a bone! In terms of fit, I really think that this gear was made with the FIT sheep hunter in mind because it is very form fitting. I bought the medium in both pieces of clothing and it fits like a glove but I can move easily in it because of the way it seems to stretch.

I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs. I swear if you had any kind of gut at all it would be awfully snug! I kind of feel I was between sizes but the arm length of the large was a little too long for me.

The only thing I wish the Sitka rain gear would have is a few more pockets but I think the reason they don't is because the more zippers you have on rain gear the greater the chance of leaking. That being said, I am totally used to what I have. A friend of mine bought the Kuiu and he really likes his because it does have more pickets,,,,,BUT they're not as quiet as the Sitka which his wife bought so they were able to compare the two in that regard... They're also more expensive, though.

In any event, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion