Bank diving dog

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Bank diving dog

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun May 10, 2020 5:27 pm

A one year old PP obsessed with multiple bank dives. Must be related to hunting since that's all he ever wants to do, but weird nonetheless. A pair of mallards is nesting down along the creek and hangout in the pond in the distance, but that doesn't appear to be related. Note my native plant restoration project that's finally taking shape. What's this dog up to? https://youtu.be/qnU_NbggWoo
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Bank diving dog

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun May 10, 2020 6:55 pm

My DD does the same thing if there's water. I honestly believe she prefers swimming to walking or running. Even in 38 degree lake Michigan she will swim for an hour. I've never timed her to see just how long she'll stay in the water but one day she exceeded 2 1/2 hours. Yours looks to be cut from the same mold.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:51 pm

Bruce,
he's obviously hunting something. He's "pouncing" He stops, looks, then pounces. He doesnt like to get his head wet, if he did he would be diving. Are there fish in the pond? Has he ever caught one or something in the water? Doesnt have to catch something to start this, seeing one fish clearly can do it. Our retrievers get obsessed with fish/frogs/crawdads and will spend a lot of time just walking in the shallows searching. Once again the difference between point and desire to acquire.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun May 10, 2020 11:20 pm

I think that's right Kiger - I think he's taken with water striders or little bugs that scoot across the water. They're hard to see but he's looking for them. I had another dog that was smitten with them but they were bigger bugs. They drove the dog crazy.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 11, 2020 2:54 am

Saw some dragon flies but couldn't make the connection. Chasing reflections? My first Griff would chase grasshopper shadows. Took quite a while to figure that one out.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon May 11, 2020 6:26 am

He's a water dog and huntin something for sure.

Beautiful little wetlands in that bottom.

What does that dog weigh, Bruce? He looks solid.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon May 11, 2020 10:52 am

60.5 lbs
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Mon May 11, 2020 3:09 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:My DD does the same thing if there's water. I honestly believe she prefers swimming to walking or running. Even in 38 degree lake Michigan she will swim for an hour. I've never timed her to see just how long she'll stay in the water but one day she exceeded 2 1/2 hours. Yours looks to be cut from the same mold.

GH, don't let Bruce fool you, not for a second. You know he developed (patented?) that no-hands, silent whistle method of handling on blinds, right?

Well, this is the NAVHDA duck search version of a postage stamp swim-by pond for teaching a dog how to thoroughly work an area where a shackled duck has been hanging out - hanging out until before Bruce's assistant hidden in one of the trees in the video pulled the duck from the pond with a rod 'n reel.

MG
crackerd
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon May 11, 2020 7:10 pm

:lol: :lol:
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon May 11, 2020 7:18 pm

crackerd wrote:
GONEHUNTIN' wrote:My DD does the same thing if there's water. I honestly believe she prefers swimming to walking or running. Even in 38 degree lake Michigan she will swim for an hour. I've never timed her to see just how long she'll stay in the water but one day she exceeded 2 1/2 hours. Yours looks to be cut from the same mold.

GH, don't let Bruce fool you, not for a second. You know he developed (patented?) that no-hands, silent whistle method of handling on blinds, right?

Well, this is the NAVHDA duck search version of a postage stamp swim-by pond for teaching a dog how to thoroughly work an area where a shackled duck has been hanging out - hanging out until before Bruce's assistant hidden in one of the trees in the video pulled the duck from the pond with a rod 'n reel.

MG

Next pond over: Image

Interesting that you say that MG - in the foreground of the video you may have noticed the older PP. During her UT a couple of years ago she was off on her duck search and a "sort of" shackled duck came swimming by about fifty yards out and disappeared into the reeds down a long channel. When Gypsy came across the scent in the water she made a 90 degree turn and just followed the duck's oils left on the water, thus securing a 4 in the test.

I've watched her and several other of my other dogs do the same thing while hunting - following a long gone cripple's trail left on the water. I wonder - do retriever breeds like Boykins and Labrador Retrievers do that? I thought either independent hunting wasn't allowed or their noses weren't up to it. :D
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon May 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Bruce, certainly labs and all retrieving breeds do that. No in a trial, but in a hunting situation. They are great dogs at diving for ducks as well. They can stay under so long and swim so far it scares the heck out of you, sometimes worrying they've drowned.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:57 pm

Bruce,
Im going to have to insult you. I don't want to , but you have read my explanations on retrievers so much over the years that it seems idiotic to ask if retrievers will follow scent on water.
what a stupid question? WE DONT TRAIN SEARCH BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE TO, ITS A NATURAL INSTINCT!!!!! We train handling because its far more useful than a dog that cant handle.

Dont worry, I'm not going to recommend you lose your Master /degree in training for your work on handling. (By the way. MG what NEW method have you invented for dogs? )
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue May 12, 2020 12:38 am

it was a rhetorical question. I've read that laying a track across water was part of retriever trials somewhere. Europe?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Tue May 12, 2020 7:20 am

Bruce Schwartz wrote:it was a rhetorical question. I've read that laying a track across water was part of retriever trials somewhere. Europe?

Of course it was a rhetorical (and humourous) question, Bruce - and Kiger asking what training methods I've invented lately must be same. All the smart people got into retriever training and took potential (pea-)brainstorming out of the equation long before I could try my hand and head at it.

Although I have often thought botanical retrieving would be very helpful for garden harvest and also do wonders for a dog's coat and, you know, muzzle complexion, so they would look real pretty in pictures.

100_4182a.jpg
100_4182a.jpg (947.07 KiB) Viewed 350 times

'Fraid that's about as inventive as I can get with my "methodology"...well, maybe retriever tunneling for marks (and absolute blinds) would be another innovation, but you've got to have a good digger with the genes to back it up to begin with, so I cannae take all the credit for that one...I just train 'em to tunnel in a straight line.

100_3974a.jpg
100_3974a.jpg (596.8 KiB) Viewed 350 times

As for Euro retriever trials, water barely/ hardly/ if ever figures into them - so tracking a duck or duck scent would be a new one on me, and I would also wonder which countries allow introduction of "liberated" game for their trials or tests to be run on.

MG
crackerd
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue May 12, 2020 8:20 am

Crackered... You are crackin' me up....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next