Meet Tess

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Meet Tess

Postby Willie T » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:32 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Thank you Gentlemen,

WillieT,

I have one of my camo burlap screens and a winger setup in the CRP below the house right now. Wife and I have been working Spud and Tess on some marks with it. We have been using the NAHRA approach of me signaling we are ready by blowing a duck call, the Wife answers with her duck call which gives the dog focus, I tell Tess to mark while holding her by her collar while she sits, bird is launched, I wait just a moment and let her go with a verbal Fetch command. Going pretty well.

The cover is really too tall and she hunts short a percentage of the time but she shows excellent persistence and always finds and returns with the dolken or dead duck. Seems my training field choices right now are too tall CRP or too short hayfields. I want to swing back to couple of planted pigeon pointing work in the morning to keep her skill set balanced and then think I will move my setup to a lower cover field and give her a better chance for more precise marking. I have also been giving her water marks out of her invisablind marsh platform through a small decoy spread on our big pond.

jlw034,

she took such a big flying leap she just about went completely under and that is where that puppy paddle came from. She pretty much never does that anymore and has a big dog stroke normally. She took on some water on that leap.

I don't throw retrieves for Tess off the dock very often. It was 90 degrees and water was the only option to get the dogs some exercise and I wanted to get that side shot perspective video of how she launches herself. She is all in for it.

She is a fun little dog and I enjoy her. Off switch in the house is very acceptable for her age when she is alone but she struggles to leave Spud alone when he is the house with her. He is a sexy beast.

AG, I said it earlier and I will repeat it, “she is just the kind I like”.
A couple comments. You may or may not try but I much prefer a dog that hunts deep on a retrieve and my comments are directed at stretching marking distance and dogs learning to “trust it” and hold their line to the AOF and later on long blinds.
Simplify. Move to the short grass. Start close. As her confidence grows, progressively back away to increase the distance while leaving the launcher in the same spot. Isolate range and establish it first. Then add factors. What ever you want as a max effective range, add 1/3 when you are building her range and then don’t worry about being able to push her deep as training progresses. (With Cricket that early distance we stretched out to was 400 yards.)
One other thought for you to consider. Using her name as a release on marks will be advantageous. First it will be a big aid to honoring when another dog like spud is sent. Second, when you advance to teaching handling for blinds, using fetch or back will que her that she is playing the blind game and you are helping drive so take the given line.
Keep the updates coming. I am enjoying following along.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Willie T,

That is Great Advice that I will follow. Appreciate it.

She got rev'd up on her run this morning.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:28 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Willie T,

That is Great Advice that I will follow. Appreciate it.

She got rev'd up on her run this morning.

Ha ha, You are blessed and know it!
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:58 pm

She did it!

I ran Tess in a NAHRA Started Class Retriever Hunt Test today. At 7 months She was the youngest dog to run out of 13 dogs. 9 Labs, 2 Goldens, 1 Flatcoat and Tess. 4 dogs did not pass.

3 land marks from brushed in blinds out to 80 yards through windsock and full body decoys in the field. 2 water marks the first being Land Water Land, the last one was Land Water Land Water with the duck falling out of sight of the dog in the water beyond the land across the water about 75 yards in distance.

She had never ran either of those setups ever. I did not give her a chance of doing it. She proved me wrong. Only the second time she has been in a crowd.

Really enjoy my pup.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:51 pm

Congratulations to you and Tess. That is awesome!
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:06 pm

Cool. She's getting big... What's next?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 am

orhunter wrote:Cool. She's getting big... What's next?

Rattlesnake avoidance training in SD next weekend. Not fun but necessary. NA the week after that.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:03 am

Willie T wrote:Congratulations to you and Tess. That is awesome!

Thank You Willie T. The head Judge said "That is a German Wirehair Retriever, not Pointer". Said he was a Lab guy but he could enjoy working with a pup like that. It was a stretch objective from where we are in training. Only second time she had been in a crowd with distractions everywhere. She showed me a lot yesterday.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:51 am

That's so awesome Kent! Given her high field drive it's even more impressive. What a well rounded dog.

Keep up the good work.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:50 am

jlw034 wrote:That's so awesome Kent! Given her high field drive it's even more impressive. What a well rounded dog.

Keep up the good work.

Thank You. Appreciate it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:07 am

The NA judges won't need to discuss much if anything. Maybe they could throw in a duck search just for grins.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:45 pm

orhunter wrote:The NA judges won't need to discuss much if anything. Maybe they could throw in a duck search just for grins.

NA test Saturday. UT test Sunday?

Epic.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Epic.....
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Awesome, congratulations . Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:38 pm

orhunter wrote:The NA judges won't need to discuss much if anything. Maybe they could throw in a duck search just for grins.

I would be surprised is she did not search the field and point. She will chase bird a long ways and things will likely speed up from there :).

Will be shocked if she does not jump in the water easily, but stuff happens at tests and with puppies.

I strongly prefer to let young dogs figure out tracking of live game on their own and have done no formal training in this area so no telling how that will go. I am in it for the long run. Last thing I want to do is let this pup track and catch a flightless bird which is not putting out a wounded bird blood scent ...

Thank You, Forest.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion