Indoor/Outdoor Kennel design

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Indoor/Outdoor Kennel design

Postby JTracyII » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks for all who have helped with my project. Hope it helps other as well looking to do similar projects.

I am now wondering what others think would be the best flooring for puppy runs. I am going with concrete in the adult runs with a cot and dog house inside. I am not sure I want to go with concrete with the puppies. I have thought of various options from concrete (seems hard for pups) to sand (maybe not the best option in my sometimes windy state), to grass (not sure I can get it to grow well under roof), pea gravel, dirt (seems messy), astro turf and it seems interesting(I talked a breeder who has it and likes it). Thought I would see what others thought. I'm open to any idea or option at this point. Thanks for the ideas thus far. I may try to maintain some serious shade grass if possible and see how it goes.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:20 pm

JTII - Maybe make the puppy runs with concrete, and use something like cedar shavings on top of it? This way when the pups are no longer pups you can blow out the shavings and use them as adult runs.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:00 am

blue04 wrote:JTII - Maybe make the puppy runs with concrete, and use something like cedar shavings on top of it? This way when the pups are no longer pups you can blow out the shavings and use them as adult runs.

Blue,

That does make some sense to me. I will consider that. I plan to make the pup areas larger. Like 11 x 10 so I will have to think about that. It would require me finding quite a bit of cedar shavings to make it several inches deep, but I suppose I could find it.

Any other options folks can think of. ...
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 pm

The other option I thought of is concrete with a rubber cow stall mat on top. Something like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... -stall-mat

I know a local farmer that put mats similar to these in his milking stalls in his dairy, and they've held up quite well to cattle traffic. I think you could probably find something similar but thinner for less cost, as you probably don't need .75 inch thickness for pups.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:37 pm

JTracyII wrote:....I am now wondering what others think would be the best flooring for puppy runs. I am going with concrete in the adult runs with a cot and dog house inside. I am not sure I want to go with concrete with the puppies. I have thought of various options from concrete (seems hard for pups) to sand (maybe not the best option in my sometimes windy state), to grass (not sure I can get it to grow well under roof), pea gravel, dirt (seems messy), astro turf and it seems interesting(I talked a breeder who has it and likes it). Thought I would see what others thought. I'm open to any idea or option at this point. Thanks for the ideas thus far. I may try to maintain some serious shade grass if possible and see how it goes.

Not sure why you are opposed to concrete for puppies. They are only going to be on it for a few weeks after they are weaned. Then you have an area that is all concrete under the awning of your building. Best to do all flat work when you build. If you don't want them on concrete the above ground kennels are the best setup for pups.
~
~
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:07 pm

Well, for those following along, I have decided to go with all concrete as Terry/Coveyrise suggested, as well as Blue and others also implied I should do. After weighing everything I decided it would work well for me. I have drafted my options for the building/kennel area on paper many times and the final product slowly got more and more refined and simpler over time. I want to thank you all for the advice along the way. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's set up who posted images. Its kind of neat to be able to see what others have come up with. There is no perfect way to do this dog set up thing. Circumstances dictate what is best for each of us and those are different for us all. I will meet with the guy who will take my money (1/3 of total project costs) and signed contract today to get this project started, but I have to wait in line for a couple months first. I called Kennel Connectors today and they will be getting back to me on the kennels I may have them build depending on the quote they provide. The input from you all has informed me and helped me a lot, and I hope/suspect it has and will will help others. Thanks Again!
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Anyone use fiber mesh in their concrete slab for their dog kennel? I am seeing mixed reviews on using it for the purpose of dog kennel. Some fear that it could damage dogs feet or cut them. I used it in my driveway and like the results.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TJR89 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Never used it for a kennel floor, but as a contractor I will tell you that I have seen people get cut by some of the fibers if the concrete iss not finished properly. If you have already used it for a driveway you probably know the other cons, mainly higher cost. For me the benefits would not out weigh the risks or the costs.
TJR89
Pup
Pup

Postby woodboro » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:18 pm

OP'er -

My Kennels are attached to my one car garage 12 x 44.
4 kennels 6 x 5 with 2 foot concrete high walls and fence panels on top.
I created drains , and a dry well , but NEVER chopped out the concrete to make the drains work ...
Why - dogs never go to the bathroom inside the building.
Those drains get plugged up repeatedly , what I was told by a pro boarder.

Out side runs with dog door to go in and out are 12 x 5 with 2 foot concrete walls and dog panels above.

The garage it self is insulated and dry walled.
Facing East , morning sun , kills bacteria , and is cleaned daily.
Inside kennels have a 2 x 3 open box with bedding for loafing. (Inside water buckets)
Works for me , but most importantly works fr the dogs /
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion