Cabelas -- Another New Low

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Cabelas -- Another New Low

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm

My family are norcini from Piedmont for generations. I know a little about making salumi, proscutti, coppa, etc.

I was teaching a friend some basic sausage making skills and we went to Cabela's to look at a grinder. Biggest pieces of crap I ever seen.

We got him a used Hobart off of Craigslist that he will hand down to his son for the same $$$ they want for their crap. It's all Chinese made junk now anyway.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Libertyrocks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:48 am

Cabela’s website showed a nice looking pair of hunting waders on sale with limited inventory. I tried to check out, but they must have run out and not updated. I figured I could call in to get it squared away, or get the same wader in a different camo pattern at the sales price. Cabela’s wouldn’t budge. They wanted full price which was $82.00 more. No thanks. Seems close to bait and switch.

AlaskaMagnum wrote:My family are norcini from Piedmont for generations. I know a little about making salumi, proscutti, coppa, etc.

Can I make duck prosciutto without nitrates safely? There seems to be some debate. I made some last year without anyone getting sick.
Libertyrocks
Started
Started

Postby jlw034 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Fair is fair.

Got a screaming deal on a 28 gauge, and Cabelas was the only store in the greater twin cities that had trap 28 gauge loads.

Not cheap, but they had em.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:12 am

Libertyrocks wrote:Cabela’s website showed a nice looking pair of hunting waders on sale with limited inventory. I tried to check out, but they must have run out and not updated. I figured I could call in to get it squared away, or get the same wader in a different camo pattern at the sales price. Cabela’s wouldn’t budge. They wanted full price which was $82.00 more. No thanks. Seems close to bait and switch.

AlaskaMagnum wrote:My family are norcini from Piedmont for generations. I know a little about making salumi, proscutti, coppa, etc.

Can I make duck prosciutto without nitrates safely? There seems to be some debate. I made some last year without anyone getting sick.

Yes. Nitates are only required for ground dried sausage. I make three or four proscutti every year and just use sea salt. You're fine.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 am

Celery (pulverized so it looks like pea soup) is the perfect nitrite/nitrate replacement.
Look at the labels on "uncured" bacon or ham) they use celery juice .

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1500 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:52 am

Doc is only partially correct. Celery is a natural source of nitrates so the cured product isn't nitrate free. I read something not to long ago about the health concern over nitrates in cured food and the conclusion was that the concentration in cured meats was so low it didn't pose a health hazard. Celery actually had more than meat products. If a person doesn't have an actual sensitivity to nitrates, they're completely safe in consumer products. The lab tests were in concentrations much higher than what is commonly found in food. This is true in all sorts of lab tests of most chemicals.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:38 pm

orhunter wrote:Doc is only partially correct. Celery is a natural source of nitrates so the cured product isn't nitrate free. I read something not to long ago about the health concern over nitrates in cured food and the conclusion was that the concentration in cured meats was so low it didn't pose a health hazard. Celery actually had more than meat products. If a person doesn't have an actual sensitivity to nitrates, they're completely safe in consumer products. The lab tests were in concentrations much higher than what is commonly found in food. This is true in all sorts of lab tests of most chemicals.

Exactly. Because the government allowed something to be labeled as uncured because they used nitrates/nitrites found in celery. Which isn't as controllable as the standard curing method. So what you get is something that is actually worse off with higher nitrates than going the traditional route of using curing salt/Prague powder #2.

So you aren't really replacing it. Your basically taking it out to put it back in.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 pm

I often use Morton's Tender Quick on chicken and pork. Usually use around half of what the label says is right. I use sugar also which is a better curing agent than plain old salt. For salmon going in the smoker, 5 to 1, brown sugar vs salt, mixed as a dry brine. I've had good luck using half that amount of salt. If I can taste the salt, I've used too much. After I've packed the brined fish in a cooler, I'll add honey, maple syrup, spices, maybe soy sauce.

I can turn a boneless pork loin into ham in around 3 days using a wet brine. Will add a bit extra salt and good dose of sugar to the brine, not straight Tender Quick. I'll cut back on salt and sugar if I'm going to inject the brine.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Doc E wrote:Celery (pulverized so it looks like pea soup) is the perfect nitrite/nitrate replacement.
Look at the labels on "uncured" bacon or ham) they use celery juice .

No it's not. Celery juice contains nitrate. It doesn't matter where it comes from, it's still nitrate. The problem with nitrate is it must be carefully measured. Cure #2 is only .6 percent nitrate. Too much will poison you. Too little and you will not properly inhibit botulism. You cannot properly dose celery juice since you don't know the concentration, although you can celery powder. It's still nitrate though. Bacon is a whole muscle and does not need nitrate in the first place

It must be done precisely or you can kill someone. I know you are into natural foods but please stay out of this one. You are giving bad advice and are going to get someone killed.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 pm

orhunter wrote:Doc is only partially correct. Celery is a natural source of nitrates so the cured product isn't nitrate free. I read something not to long ago about the health concern over nitrates in cured food and the conclusion was that the concentration in cured meats was so low it didn't pose a health hazard. Celery actually had more than meat products. If a person doesn't have an actual sensitivity to nitrates, they're completely safe in consumer products. The lab tests were in concentrations much higher than what is commonly found in food. This is true in all sorts of lab tests of most chemicals.

Nitrates do nothing in a whole muscle. In a ground sausage, they are broken down into nitrite which inhibits botulism. It is necessary in dried sausages containing less than 3% salt and cured above 55 degrees.

Cure #1 (nitrite) in fresh sausages that are sliw smoked or otherwise cooked. It can be used to Cure whole muscles and imparts the ham flavor Cure #2( nitrate) for fermented sausages dried over weeks.

Making salami is like picking mushrooms. You need to learn from someone who knows what they are doing or you can kill someone.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby woodboro » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:51 am

Foster & Smith years ago had hunting apparel , and determined it would not be wise to challenge Peta in any way , so they discontinued
their clothing line , as well as hunting supplies for dogs.
They sold the company a few years ago , and just recently moved out of their original factory , The community lost 300+ jobs in a small community.

When I saw Pro Bass merger , I thought - Yep they are trying to take over the hunting world.

What is ironic, A few years ago , I realized you can not buy a tough pair of hunting pants for $100.
Fleet farm , cabela's and all the others have zilch.

I buy Dickies now , they last about 2 years , but only cost $50 ... , but to find gear in the construction business seems a little weird.

As far as I am aware of , Africa is on EVERYONE's wish list , but cost is the major concern.
I planned about 8 years ago to go , but finally realized I can hunt in N.A. and cut the cost dramatically for many animals.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dmog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:23 am

AverageGuy wrote:My Wife and I have purchased everything possible and paid all our bills using Cabelas Visa Cards for years. Pay them off every month, no annual fee, no interest charges - completely $0 cost to me. I have built up points and cashed them in on Firearms and Ecollars for a long time doing it.
I vote all the time with my Money as well as my Vote so if this continues, I am done with Cabelas.

Same here. I use to joke to my wife when my points would get up to $500 that I was 1/10 of the way to a new boat, she would spend it on Christmas gifts! Quite telling her the balance and spent it on scopes, fishing gear, ammo, etc. With all the changes, I discontinued using my Cabelas card and switch to Discover. Now I just apply the points to the next bill pay off.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:29 am

Woodboro:

You might try Duluth Trading Company for HD clothing?
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 pm

Be VERY careful when you eat celery --- all of those nitrites might kill you :lol: :lol:
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1500 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:25 pm

While I do once in a while shop at Cabela's, I really try not to. I agree that since they merged with BPS they've gone downhill. I just see them the same as Wal-Mart. Much better than Wally World but still a giant company. I get most of my stuff from North 40, Black Sheep or online somewhere else.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion