Waterfowl hunting,,,,,,your feeding schedule?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Waterfowl hunting,,,,,,your feeding schedule?

Postby mastercaster » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm

There's quite a few threads on when various hunters feed their dogs while upland hunting. In general, most tend to avoid feeding anything or just a small meal well before the morning hunt and then giving an evening meal. But what do guys do for waterfowl hunting where a dog tends to spend most of its day in the blind, often wet, and quite frequently chilled, even though they are wearing a neoprene vest? Gets cold in the winter months up here in BC.

This year I think the most retrieves my dog has done in a day of duck hunting is no more than a dozen. Often, there is another dog and they split the duty. There's no hard continuous running involved. Half of it may be water retrieves. I've been told that giving your dog food periodically during the hunt will help to keep your dog warm so I've been giving her the odd handful of kibble or splitting an apple with her throughout the time we're hunting. I've also been giving the dog her regular morning meal (1/2 her normal daily ration) 3+ hours before the hunting begins.

Can anyone see anything detrimental about doing this? What do you do?
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Waterfowl hunting,,,,,,your feeding schedule?

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 am

I do not vary my feeding schedule, which is post hunt, once a day in the evening after the dog has cooled down and rested a bit. I have certainly shared a bite or two of my food with my dog during a mid-day lull of a waterfowl hunt but it has no bearing on his performance or warmth. I hunt my dogs on an empty stomach always and it has worked well for us for a long time.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm

I'd be more concerned with proper hydration, if you can provide the dog lukewarm water that would probably be better than actual food.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:58 pm

JONOV wrote:I'd be more concerned with proper hydration, if you can provide the dog lukewarm water that would probably be better than actual food.

There's never a shortage of water where we waterfowl hunt. The luke warm water, though, sounds like a good idea,,,,,kind of like the comfort we get from eating a bowl of soup when we happen to be cold.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion