Small Munsterlander and ducks

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Small Munsterlander and ducks

Postby MFRsm » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:58 pm

I wish that I could share this video with Melissa Hertz. https://youtu.be/LiSKvt5JomM. For those that did not know her, she was a very committed small Munsterlander breeder that lived here in Oregon. Unfortunately Melissa passed away as the result of an accident in 2017. I was fortunate to get a pup from her in August 2014. He has matured into a nice dog, great in the house and driven in the field. for the most part I hunt grouse and quail here in southern Oregon but I was sure to include Ducks in his training. This last November we headed to Fort Riley Kansas to hunt quail and pheasant. After 4 hours in the fields chasing Bobwhites and pheasants we took a lunchbreak and then headed to Tuttle Creek Reservoir to try our luck with ducks. Despite three 4-6 six hour days chasing upland birds Porter was ready to go. It had been in the mid teens for the last couple of days and the ice was maybe a half inch thick. The ducks would fall and bounce, when sent Porter would charge out breaking up the ice as he went where it was thick he would try hauling himself up on top until it would break then keep swimming forward until he got his prize.

I think if Melissa was still with us she would be as proud of Porter as I am.
Attachments
Porter with 3 limits_Tuttle Creek Reservoir 2018.jpg
Last edited by MFRsm on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MFRsm
Started
Started

Re: Small Munsterlander and ducks

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 am

Awesome, ice is tuff on any dog. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:24 am

Nice job on developing your dog and an excellent out of state Trip.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Libertyrocks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:37 am

Porter’s a nice looking dog!

Years ago I was interviewing a SM breeder and he told me, he’d buy a dog from Melissa. That is if she’d sell me one.
Melissa was committed to placing her dogs in good hunting homes. After reaching out she sent over a detailed application which included asking for copies of previous hunting licenses and hunting photos. She also asked for a family photo of everyone raising the dog. After receiving the application, she followed up with a 20 minute phone interview.

Her passing left a large void in the SM world. I always thought it was ashamed more of her dogs weren’t used for breeding.
Libertyrocks
Started
Started

Postby SMAbby » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:52 pm

Oh man, you brought up sk.e mn memories of Melissa. As far as I am concerned she was the best breeder of this fi e dog and I had learned a lot.

The was a busy lady, I missed her last call to me because I was hunting and I didnt get back to her soon enough. That will haunt me to my end.

She wasnt perfect, just like tr he rest of us. But she was kind hearted and was willing to guide anyone wanting to learn. I sure wish I had lived closer and met her loved g ago.

Is porte a Max pup do you know?
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:13 pm

Great trip and sounds like you getting your dog into birds/ducks. Keep it up and keep sharing!
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby MFRsm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:46 am

Smabby, The sire was Herzcoffs Eros and the Dam was Herzcoffs Cadence. Mellissa was all you could ask for in a breeder. She knew the breed, spent months every year in the field hunting with her dogs, knew each dogs strengths and weakness and took the time to talk to buyers making every effort to match the pups to the skill and experience of the owner to be. she was busy but always called back to answer any questions.

TracyII, Best trip ever; maybe not the most birds but my first Kansas hunt and the first chance to hunt with my son and son in law in the 15 and 18 years since they joined the U.S Army. With seven deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan between them plus time spent in Korea and Germany I have seen them little and never together. For them it was their first hunt with dogs, they loved it and each is planning for a gundog in the future.
Attachments
Porter running a dummy back.jpg
Porter aka Herzs Maestro
MFRsm
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion