I'm BACK!

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

I'm BACK!

Postby chiendog » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Hello All,

After a longer-than-hoped for hiatus from book writing, I am happy to announce that Pointing Dogs, Volume Two: The British and Irish Breeds is now fully back on track. But before I get into the details, let me once again thank all the fine folks on this board who helped me with Volume One. Not only did this awesome community provide me with a rich source of information and resources, it served as an excellent sounding board where I could ask questions, float ideas and get my a** kicked for being wrong, lazy or both. So, from the bottom of my heart, THANKS EVERYONE for all your help and support.

Here are some frequently asked questions about Volume Two.

What's it about? In a nutshell, it covers all the breeds that were not covered in Volume One where only breeds from Continental Europe were covered in detail and those developed in the UK mentioned in passing only. There were a number of reasons for not including the British and Irish breeds in V1. The first was practical. If I had included them, the book would have ended up being nearly a thousand pages long, weighing over ten pounds! The second was due to the fact that in much of the world, the overall category of pointing breeds is divided into two sub-categories that compete separately (and under slightly different rules) in field trials and shows. And finally, the British and Irish breeds are so wide-spread, so well-known and have played such an important role hunting cultures around the world, I always thought that they deserved an entire volume dedicated to them alone.

When will it be done? My goal is to have the book at the printers by February 2020, and on the market by March of that year.

What can we do to help? Thank you for asking. How about just kicking my a** when I am wrong or lazy or both? As mentioned, I really did benefit from all the input, support and a•• kickings I received from this board for V1 and hope to get the same sort of thing for V2. So watch for my posts of (hopefully) good questions, observations, updates, photos and the like and feel free to chime in at any time. Will you keep us updated on your progress? Yes. I've started a new feature on my blog where I will be posting updates and interesting information that I come across in my research and travels for V2. I will make sure to include links to the board whenever I update the blog. Here is the first instalment called "A Parker Gun and Two Russian Setters", an extraordinary piece about hunting prairie chickens over Russian Setters in Nebraska in 1885. http://www.dogwilling.ca/dogwillingblog/http/wwwdogwillingca/blog-page-url/2018/2/5/parkergunandrussiansetters

Thanks again everyone. Onwards and upwards!

Craig Koshyk
http://www.dogwilling.ca
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: I'm BACK!

Postby flitecontrol » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am

How do you know that the "Russian Setters" were griffons?
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:23 pm

Been wondering?????? Didn’t think you needed anyone bugging you so have kept my mouth shut...

On another note... I borrowed a Weim for a day a while back. Although the dog was very inexperienced, it was amazing how well it could track and had a reasonably steady point. Cool dog. I now know why you like them.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby chiendog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:15 pm

flitecontrol wrote:How do you know that the "Russian Setters" were griffons?

Most of it is speculation, but there are a few cases in which the listing that appears in the studbook actually says "Russian Setter (Griffon)". I will take a more in-depth look at whole thing in Volume Two.
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:13 am

The question remains, how long can y'all manage with just one dog? What breeds are on the short list?

p.s. I just noticed the typo on page 164 :razz:
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby chiendog » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:48 am

Urban_Redneck wrote:The question remains, how long can y'all manage with just one dog? What breeds are on the short list?
p.s. I just noticed the typo on page 164 :razz:

Having only one dog has some advantages, and Leo has done an amazing job hunting all day, every day with us. But I am sure it won't be long before we get another pup. In all likelihood, we will probably get another Picardy, maybe even a pup out of Leo. But not for another year or so...if we can resist! In the meantime I am bringing a Braque Saint Germain over from France. But the dog won't live up here. I will co-own it with a friend in the states and it will live there. Info on the breed here: http://www.dogwilling.ca/dogwillingblog/2012/01/breed-of-week-braque-saint-germain_29.html

And ya, there are a few typos in Volume One. If/when I publish a second edition they will be fixed, and more info and photos added too!
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:07 pm

Good to have you back cheindog. Also, I enjoyed the read about the Russian Setters above. One thing that struck me is how things seem so much the same in some ways as far as the way we hunters seek adventure in our hunting pursuits and the social experiences that often are a part of our outings.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Spindog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 pm

orhunter wrote:Been wondering?????? Didn’t think you needed anyone bugging you so have kept my mouth shut...

On another note... I borrowed a Weim for a day a while back. Although the dog was very inexperienced, it was amazing how well it could track and had a reasonably steady point. Cool dog. I now know why you like them.

How does one "borrow" a hunting dog for a day? I can picture borrowing a compressor or a utility trailer but not a Weim. Just curious. :)
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Really enjoyed volume 1. Very much looking forward to volume 2.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Spindog: I went on a day trip with another fellow and he brought a spare dog for me to hunt with. KJ loaned me a Wirehair for about a month back in October. I'm dogless now.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Spindog » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:36 am

orhunter wrote:Spindog: I went on a day trip with another fellow and he brought a spare dog for me to hunt with. KJ loaned me a Wirehair for about a month back in October. I'm dogless now.

OK got it. Makes more sense explained like that.
Great to have you back Chiendog, I enjoy reading all the posts about the history of gundogs.
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion