Thanksgiving Day

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Thanksgiving Day

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Rowdy and I were back at it again in the duck blind this morning. Ended up with a 6 species day (2 honkers, 2 butterballs, 1 wigeon, 1 GWT, 1 bluebill and 1 muskrat in a trap). Rowdy had some nice retrieves in the river current. First time ever I've shot a Scotch double on geese though. Pretty surprised when 2 honkers fell with one shot.

"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Thanksgiving Day

Postby orhunter » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 am

You and Rowdy spent the day right for sure. Rowdy never ceases to impress me as a waterfowl dog... with short hair. The boy certainly gets it done. Kid was brought up right.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Thanks Harvey. He ain't a lab or a chessie in the water, but I really have no complaints about his abilities as a waterfowl dog. Last weekend I wish I could have gotten a video of his search/chase on a winged wigeon I shot that sailed 80 or so yards out into the open water. He broke thin ice to get out to it, before it proceeded to dive 23 differnent times, always popping up on a side where he couldn't see it. Hand signals from me alerted him as to where to turn to go after the bird again. It would dive again and pop up again. He spent 15 minutes swimming out there in the middle of the slough trying to get that bird. Finally, on the 24th time it tried to dive, it didn't have the energy to do so and made a half-hearted dive... Rowdy sealed it's fate and grabbed it and brought it back to me. He got fried chicken on the way home for that one.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:11 am

Heck of a day right there. I've said before, if you ever get tired of looking at Rowdy, i think him and Taz would make quite the pair!
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:06 am

A scotch double on Honkers. High Five on that!

Yea Rowdy would be one of several GSPs which have opened my eyes as to how a high prey drive dog can do things that many uninitiated folks say cannot be done. The challenge with our Vdogs is their lean body mass makes keeping them warm between retrieves more challenging but for practical recovery of waterfowl they are absolutely up to the task.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:57 pm

That is a great day in the field for sure. If you still have all those ducks up there it explains why we have so few. What are butterballs? The true double is really awesome. I have never seen geese grouped up close enough to even think about getting a double. But then again if I see a single goose from the blind in one day I consider it a success.

Just like Rowdy the guys I have hunted around consider Otto to be a great waterfowl dog. It just looks labored because unlike labs V-dogs don't float. If he stops kicking even for a second his ass heads straight to Davy Jones Locker. Once you tame the natural urge of a V-dog to search :lol: and take a direction change the waterfowl world is your oyster. Just due to my hunting style Otto is a way better retriever than he is a pointer he just can't float.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Very nice day Rowdy. Especially the scotch double on honkers! I have hunted geese a lot and never once have I scotch doubled on them. The Pudelpointer I am hunting is my first versatile. I have hunted labs, various pointing dogs, cur dogs, and hounds. The more I hunt and work with him the more I am impressed by what the versatile breeds bring to the table. Your Rowdy exemplifies that!
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Deuce » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:23 am

Nice work! And a Scotch Double to boot!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms