Dog dropping bird short

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dog dropping bird short

Postby Allday24 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:23 pm

My dog is 2 yrs old. She is force fetched and has been very good retrieving to hand until recently. If she is retrieving bumpers,she returns to heel,sits and holds until I ask for the bumper. However, if we use a real bird,she drops it 5ft short. I have had her hold the bird and walk with me while healing. That's no problem. Last weekend, I took the bird when she did this, and dropped it 50ft behind her. I told her to stay as I walked about 200 yards to the truck. I made her sit out there for close to 10 minutes. I finally called her. She turned around and got the bird and then ran to my truck and dropped the bird 5ft short. Not sure why she started doing this. I have been stopping her and putting the bird back in her mouth and making her finish the retrieve. That hasn’t changed what she is doing. I am thinking about not putting the bird back in her mouth, but rather pinch her ear until she picks it up on her own. What do the pros out there think about this.

Al
Allday24
Pup
Pup

Re: Dog dropping bird short

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:07 am

At the latter stages of the FF training when the dog understands and obeys the Fetch command, I overlay low level ecollar stimulation on the already trained Fetch command. The stimulation starts at the Fetch command and ends the moment the dog gets the object in its mouth. Then should the dog drop the object I stimulate immediately and stop when the dog gets the object back into its mouth. If the dog were to refuse the command the stimulation level is increased, which is fair/productive given the dog already understands what it has been told to do.

If you have trained an ecollar overlayed on your Fetch command, you can use an ecollar to clean up the problems you describe. Your description portrays your dog understands the Fetch command means get the object or the bird into its mouth and hold it until you ask for it. Based on that I would not be walking back picking the bird up for the dog and placing it back into its mouth, but rather would be requiring the dog to pick it up using the ear pinch if necessary, but ideally with the ecollar overlayed you can do it faster at the correct instance that the dog drops the bird and at a distance with the ecollar.

Did the FF program you used demonstrate how to incorporate an ecollar in the latter stages of FF?

If you toss a bird on the ground in front of the dog while sitting at heel, and then command the dog to Fetch, does the dog dive to get the bird into its mouth as fast as possible? If not you need to back up a few steps and work your FF program until it does.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:14 am

Great post and questions from Averageguy.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Allday24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks for that. I’ll have her pick the bird up from the ground. I will also overlay the ecollar with the pinch on FF. I will report back.

Al
Allday24
Pup
Pup

Postby Allday24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks for that. I’ll have her pick the bird up from the ground. I will also overlay the ecollar with the pinch on FF. I will report back.

Al
Allday24
Pup
Pup

Postby Allday24 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 pm

AverageGuy- thanks for the FF e-collar tip. I over layed the e-collar on the FF training my dog had, and after 3 days, it cleaned up the problem. She is retrieving birds to hand again.

Al
Allday24
Pup
Pup

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:05 pm

I once had the same issue with a dog that had been FF using the toe hitch. But the trainer never overlaid the toe hitch with the e-collar so there was not way to enforce the retrieve in the field. Off to another trainer to use the e-collar. Problem solved.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:24 pm

Glad to hear it! Happy Hunting.