How many of you remember Hank and Ellie.

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: How many of you remember Hank and Ellie.

Postby Sooty42 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:51 pm

Spindog wrote:What is the difference if my dog is sleeping on the couch or sleeping in his crate when I am at work? I feel he is safer in his crate. When my dogs get old and retire I allow this but they usually end up sleeping in their crate with the door open.

My dog is just a year old and if he’s very tired at night he will put himself to bed in his crate. Sometimes I have to drag him out of the crate to go to potty before actual bedtime. He doesn’t mind going in it at all and I’m positive that less things in our house have been chewed up/ate. Possibly avoiding some expensive vet bills and keeping the wife happy. I’m sure he would like a large yard to roam in all the time, but its not in the cards living in the city. But trust me he’s doing pretty well for himself.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:19 am

Seems Pretty Simple to me.

A puppy cannot learn all that it needs to learn locked in anything: not a crate, a house, a kennel, or a back yard, all day, every day. So the method of containment matters much less than do the opportunities to roam free in many different settings on a daily basis. A puppy cannot safely be left to roam a house while still young and teething, and must be safely contained in some manner while unattended. Those that work will not be able to supervise their puppy all day everyday and thus must have a system to safely house the puppy while unsupervised.

Internet Posts/Claims otherwise are bogus as I do not believe there are any mythical puppies which do not chew everything in sight while teething. No shame in this reality, rather common sense dictates it.

And a traveling bird hunter is going to want to train a positive association with riding and sleeping in a crate so the dog is well adjusted on long grueling road trips where it will spend a lot of time in the box.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:37 pm

I went to San Diego for the weekend. Left Otto a big bowl of food lifted the lid to the toilet, strapped on his bark collar and left the dog door open. When I got home he was sleeping in his crate. Dogs can't tell time they have no idea how long they have been in the crate or you have been gone.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:22 pm

deleted
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:12 am

LongHammer wrote:I went to San Diego for the weekend. Left Otto a big bowl of food lifted the lid to the toilet, strapped on his bark collar and left the dog door open. When I got home he was sleeping in his crate. Dogs can't tell time they have no idea how long they have been in the crate or you have been gone.

I'm not entirely sure I believe that. My families Golden Retrievers would get infinitely more excited to see us when we would come home from school at Christmas. My dog is infinitely more excited to see me after I return from a three or four day trip than when I return from grocery shopping. I know another guy that returned from a deployment to get his dog from a trainer, and his previously well mannered dog lost all semblance of manners when she saw him and tried to tackle him and then pee'd on his leg in excitement.

To quote my dear old Aunt, "Wouldn't you be a little sad if they weren't so excited to see you?"
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 pm

JONOV wrote:
LongHammer wrote:I went to San Diego for the weekend. Left Otto a big bowl of food lifted the lid to the toilet, strapped on his bark collar and left the dog door open. When I got home he was sleeping in his crate. Dogs can't tell time they have no idea how long they have been in the crate or you have been gone.

I'm not entirely sure I believe that. My families Golden Retrievers would get infinitely more excited to see us when we would come home from school at Christmas. My dog is infinitely more excited to see me after I return from a three or four day trip than when I return from grocery shopping. I know another guy that returned from a deployment to get his dog from a trainer, and his previously well mannered dog lost all semblance of manners when she saw him and tried to tackle him and then pee'd on his leg in excitement.

To quote my dear old Aunt, "Wouldn't you be a little sad if they weren't so excited to see you?"

I get the same treatment whether I was gone 10 minutes to buy beer or elk hunt for 2 weeks. All excitement.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion