GWP or DD??

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

GWP or DD??

Postby goosedowner » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 am

Thinking about getting a new dog in the next year and I want to make sure I make the right decision on which breed to get..After years of raising and hunting labs I bought a Braque but now after 4 years I realized how much I missed duck hunting so my next dog needs to be A duel purpose dog. I want a close working dog that can retrieve ducks in cold weather. Right now I'm considering a GWP or a DD. We live on a 72 acre farm so I have plenty of room for exerciseing and training.
Any thoughts on these dogs or maybe another breed would be appreciated.
goosedowner
Started
Started

Re: GWP or DD??

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:47 am

Sounds like a great choice to me, but I’m slightly biased.

You can’t really go wrong with a DD, look for dogs with strong duck search and marking abilities.

Several good GWP kennels too, but beware many are producing g soft coats and primarily upland skill sets.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:19 am

I've had GWP and DD. Not a whole lot of difference IMO, with the DD possibly having a stronger prey drive, more independence, and less cooperation. As to close working, I had one DD that really ranged out, which was fine in open country, but I hardly ever saw him in the woodcock thickets. In two years, never killed a woodcock over him, but I spent a lot of time looking for him! But that dog was a great waterfowl retriever, and would out swim my son-in-law's Lab to get to a duck. My current DD is good at hunting woodcock, and loves to retrieve ducks. His predecessor, also a DD, didn't point and had a soft coat. But he did well retrieving ducks. Guy I sold him to was looking for a tracking dog, and he did well at that.

I'd look at the parents' test scores and those from previous litters (if any) when deciding on a pup. Find out what types of hunting the sire and dam are used for. Try to get a pup from dogs that hunt the same species you do.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:37 pm

You have great advice already.
I am also partial to DD. some are close hunters, some range, some have great coats 10 /10 11/11 some have 7 /4 , look at their parents test & blood lines. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 am

Whichever direction you go in, get a dog from a breeder that hunts ducks.

Sounds simple, but some don't, or don't do it more than once or twice a season.

Make sure that whichever direction you go, you see the parents. AKC dogs seem to have a few more soft coated "10 Foot" coats. DD lines seem to throw a disproportionate amount of slicks. That's just my impression and by no means implies a statistical significance. NAVHDA breeders are probably a good way to look do...Schwarzwald or Thunderhills come to mind.

And ask around too...Its a rare dog that is man-sharp but a lot of dogs that might not be so good around other dogs, and no one knows it because the owner/handler is smart and proactive about it, and these dogs do well and I know some of them get bred.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:46 pm

X2 for JONOV post.

Note that a tight coat may not have an undercoat necessary for waterfowl hunting.

Though attractive you don't want the DK with a beard look.

Temperament, temperament, temperament!!!

Lastly, look at midwestern kennels... probably hunt more and hunt real wild birds.... lots of kennels with kennel princesses that pass tests and are lucky to escape the run for 1 or 2 hunts a season.

Caveat emptor...

My $.02...
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:06 pm

I’d personally go with another Lab.
ForestDump
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:55 pm

They are the same breed. If you like a program to follow and tests to pass get a DD. If you just want a hunting dog to train yourself kill some birds over get a GWP or another Lab. I went the GWP route and I kill my fair share.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Longhammer, you are wrong , they are NOT the same breed, GWP have not been bred to the standards of a DD.
Go to the VDGNA website and read the difference between the 2.
I am not knocking the GWP, just different breed of dog.
Also the DD is not the same dog that I had 38 years ago or 15 years far as that goes, breeders have bred a lot of the aggression out . Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Before this turns into a pissing match...

If you took ten NAVHDA bred GWPs and ten Drahts and lined them up, I do think you would visually see a difference. Demeanor is probably a toss up.

If you took all 20, and ran them through Utility testing, I think performance would be very even in actuality.

I've got a Draht, but there are several wirehair breeders that I would take a dog from in a second. (Bone point has really caught my eye).

On the whole, there is more similarities than differences.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:34 pm

And regarding wirehair in cold water, my dog has a really nice coat, every judge has been impressed with it.

That being said, even with a vest on, she gets colder, faster than the labs we hunt with. A lab and chessie coat is just plain better suited to cold AND wet.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:31 pm

LongHammer wrote:They are the same breed. If you like a program to follow and tests to pass get a DD. If you just want a hunting dog to train yourself kill some birds over get a GWP or another Lab. I went the GWP route and I kill my fair share.

Huh? I'm not gonna argue that they're genetically the same (I have one of each) but obviously different registries but the issue I have with your statement is that DDs have a program to follow and tests to pass and somehow GWPs don't. Have you heard of NAVHDA? Because I've trained and tested both my Drahthaar and now my GWP in NAVHDA. With either "breed" you can choose to follow a program and testing system or not.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:31 pm

LongHammer wrote:They are the same breed. If you like a program to follow and tests to pass get a DD. If you just want a hunting dog to train yourself kill some birds over get a GWP or another Lab. I went the GWP route and I kill my fair share.

Huh? I'm not gonna argue that they're genetically the same (I have one of each) but obviously different registries but the issue I have with your statement is that DDs have a program to follow and tests to pass and somehow GWPs don't. Have you heard of NAVHDA? Because I've trained and tested both my Drahthaar and now my GWP in NAVHDA. With either "breed" you can choose to follow a program and testing system or not.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Wilkey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 pm

DD hands down.
Wilkey
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 pm

Drahthaar1108 wrote:Longhammer, you are wrong , they are NOT the same breed, GWP have not been bred to the standards of a DD.
Go to the VDGNA website and read the difference between the 2.
I am not knocking the GWP, just different breed of dog.
Also the DD is not the same dog that I had 38 years ago or 15 years far as that goes, breeders have bred a lot of the aggression out . Forrest

How does that make it a different breed?

If I have a lab that’s bred from 8 generations of field champions compared to a lab that’s got generations of nothing, is it a different breed?
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion