New Pup Next Year

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New Pup Next Year

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Sent in a deposit for a female pup out of Outlander GSPs. Most likely will be a repeat breeding between FC/AFC Red Oak's Dez SH and Outlander's Made of Honor NA PZ III. If Cheryl doesn't breed Matey to Dez it would be to Jackson Brown. The dam in the breeding did receive a PZ III in the NA test, because she wouldn't track as a puppy but received all 4's in every other category. Turns out as she got older she has become the breeder's best tracking dog and go-to dog for wild birds. Definitely excited to have two dogs again, but the wait is going to kill me, having to wait until early next summer. Anyone else on here have an Outlander dog?
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: New Pup Next Year

Postby greg jacobs » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:46 pm

I really like Matey's pedigree and a good looking dog too. And Dez is a heck of a nice dog from what I've heard. With a great pedigree. Would'nt hesitate for a second buying a dog from her. She puts a lot of thought into her breedings. Don't know anything about Jackson Brown. Where is he from?
Last edited by greg jacobs on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
greg jacobs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby greg jacobs » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:56 pm

Jackson Brown looks a little lighter than dez. Which is nice up in the chukar hills. Looks like a really nice dog. Not what I would of expected from her.
Jackson Brown probably has more range than she has with cooper as her sire. Might be a little variation in the pups with a field trial sire. I know Andy put a FC on Dez but I would say he leans a little more towards versatile. Last I hear he was planning to put a MH title on dez. Not sure if he did or not. I would think for what I do that dez's pedigree would mesh in a little better.
Jackson Browns dam must be a littermate to Brenda's Sam Man. I have a dog out of Sam Man and really like him.
greg jacobs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby greg jacobs » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:17 am

The more I think about it. Cheryl goes back to some shooting starr, and to fred rice's line and mixes in some import. Jackson Brown goes back to thunderhead which often goes back to shooting starr. And has some of Brenda's line going back through Sam Man's litter mate. And if you go back several generations Fred Rice's line is similar to Brenda's line. So I guess Jackson Brown actually makes sense. However dez is fred Rice's line. A direct son of Fred Rice's Favorite dog. I love the way Cheryl studies for each breeding.
greg jacobs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby greg jacobs » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:17 am

Opps. Double post.
greg jacobs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 am

Yeah she really does put a ton of thought into her breedings. I was impressed listening to her tell me the reasons behind all the breedings she has done over the years. And yeah she told me that despite the FC/AFC title on Dez, he does lean a little more towards NAVHDA but still has some big run in him in the open country, which I like. My current dog is a Tonelli's Rising Sun dog, so I am used to some "big run" when he is in big country. Even Matey, the dam will get out to 400 or 500 yards in open country, but much, much closer in tighter cover. To me, that is ideal in a dog, one that will adjust to cover.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby greg jacobs » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:38 am

Had my son set up for first pick for one of her litters. His wife got pregnant and he decided to wait till he had more time, so he backed out and didn't send a deposit.
With her sire I wouldn't have thought she would be more than a 300 yd dog. I was really considering getting one from her, but found a Sam Man litter here in washington. Really enjoying him.
I knew you have had some bigger runners. Figured you would de good with a little range.
greg jacobs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to General Discussion