Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 am

JONOV wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:As to cutting chews - medications can “settle “ while the chew dries... so it may not be mixed evenly.

YES!! To Lyme vaccines!! I see very good success with Lyme vaccine, and since switching to the new lymeCR vaccine 3 years ago have not seen a single vaccine failure.

Probably a stupid question...Why would you vaccinate if your dog is on a flea & tick regimen? (Nexguard or Advantix or whatever.)


Why do you have an airbag if you wear your seatbelt??
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 am

ryanr wrote:
orhunter wrote:Mastercaster: A tick is said to have to be attached for 36 to 48 hours before Lyme can be transmitted.


I was told 12 hours or longer.

You are correct, it used to be thought 48 hours was good enough, but now we know different. Ehlichia and Anaplasma can be transmitted even faster, so speed of kill really matters.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2 ... cto%20tick
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby Doc E » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
JONOV wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:Why would you vaccinate if your dog is on a flea & tick regimen? (Nexguard or Advantix or whatever.)


Why do you have an airbag if you wear your seatbelt??


Let's not stop there.......
Let's keep our dogs wet -- ticks don't like wet dogs. We could also use a repellant spray
.......... We could go on and on.
Why don't we wear helmets when we drive too ? How about Kevlar suits.

There is such a thing as overkill.
.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1420 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
User avatar
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:19 am
Location: N.E. WA state

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Doc E wrote:
Let's not stop there.......
Let's keep our dogs wet -- ticks don't like wet dogs. We could also use a repellant spray
.......... We could go on and on.
Why don't we wear helmets when we drive too ? How about Kevlar suits.

There is such a thing as overkill.
.


It may be overkill - until your dog vomits a dose of medication or you miss a dose of prevention. Studies show even the most diligent are not 100% compliant.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby Doc E » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
It may be overkill - until your dog vomits a dose of medication or you miss a dose of prevention. Studies show even the most diligent are not 100% compliant.


Link Please.
Thanks.

.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1420 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
User avatar
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:19 am
Location: N.E. WA state

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 am

Doc E wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:
It may be overkill - until your dog vomits a dose of medication or you miss a dose of prevention. Studies show even the most diligent are not 100% compliant.


Link Please.
Thanks.

.


Treated a dog for Heartworm this year - Missed ONE dose in 3 years of the dogs life, they were moving and picked up meds in July, purchased 12 doses in June the previous year.

It’s well known that even high risk regions compliance is less than 50%, took a while to find an article that gave numbers...
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/heartw ... r-quagmire
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:04 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Doc E wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:
It may be overkill - until your dog vomits a dose of medication or you miss a dose of prevention. Studies show even the most diligent are not 100% compliant.


Link Please.
Thanks.

.


Treated a dog for Heartworm this year - Missed ONE dose in 3 years of the dogs life, they were moving and picked up meds in July, purchased 12 doses in June the previous year.

It’s well known that even high risk regions compliance is less than 50%, took a while to find an article that gave numbers...
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/heartw ... r-quagmire


That article shows the percentage of owners who don't purchase heartworm preventative from their vet, not how many miss doses. In regard to the dog that missed one dose and developed heartworms, couldn't that be due to resistant heartworms? The AHS guidelines state: Many prevention products have a reachback, or an extended period of effectiveness, of six to eight weeks, Dr. Nelson said. If a client forgets to administer the product to the animal, or if the animal doesn't ingest it, the animal will be protected during the skipped month.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Started
Started
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 am

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:33 am

Resistance has only been documented in isolated areas, and nowhere near where this person lived before she moved to my area.

Resistance is sporadic. Humans being forgetful is NOT.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:44 am

Here’s a study from where resistance has been confirmed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2 ... 98/related
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Resistance has only been documented in isolated areas, and nowhere near where this person lived before she moved to my area.

Resistance is sporadic. Humans being forgetful is NOT.


I live in the resistant area, and my dog is kenneled outside. Given the date of the study, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that resistant heartworms are now more prevalent? While I haven't had my dog checked for heartworms, his annual vet visit is coming up in a few months. I'll have him checked and try not to forget to report the results here.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Started
Started
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 am

Re: Lyme disease vaccination, Bravecto, dosage

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Resistance is a hot topic. If increased prevalence was noted I’d imagine it would be published. That was the most recent I could find.

I certainly hope you don’t have anything to report. Heartworm is nasty and I don’t wish it on any dog.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Iowa

Previous

Return to Healthcare

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron