Blood Tracking

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Blood Tracking

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Our two primary training objectives this Spring/Summer are to build some basic Blind Retrieve handling skills and Blood Tracking. Cooler weather moved in so it was a good time work a track. Laid a 250 track, one 90 degree turn, 2 ounces of blood, aged 4 hours, deer leg left at the end. Wanting to ensure success and build on it at this stage. Went well. Jumped a pair of quail on the way in too! Burned that CRP field this March and it is ideal brood habitat. Thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhDDYC_NwLw
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Blood Tracking

Postby orhunter » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:55 pm

So cool. Happy dog.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:55 pm

Good job, that's not much blood in a 250 yard track. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:30 am

Next step I am going to run an overnight track and will use 4-5 ounces. I would like to advance in difficulty but avoid a serious breakdown along the way to the extent I can. Any thoughts on that, Forrest or others?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:00 am

Nice job. I like that you continually train and expand your dog's skill set. Too bad you weren't closer, I think I'd enjoy training with you and I know I'd learn a few things.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Thank you all. Yes Ryan, move on over here, I need a good training buddy!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 pm

AG, I also wish I lived closer to you, would love to train together.
How old is your pup that you are training for blood trailing ?
Don't no which method you are using ,drip or sponge. I use sponge , your last track was about 4 hours old, just right, I would make the track 1 hour older each time I lay it, always down wind ,with several gradual turns, always leave a deer hide ,pig hide at the end.I always give my pup a big piece of raw deer meat when he completes the track. when it gets HOT I mark a trail so I don't cross my blood trail and take the hide to the end right before we start tracking, yellow jackets are bad when it gets hot. just make the track a little older each time until you get up to a 24hr old track. I use a lot of blood to start a young pup. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:02 pm

I have no idea what is so hard about getting a dog to take a blood trail. I have killed enough game around my dogs, not to mention what they have killed, that it would be hard to keep them off of a blood trail. I would have to put leashes on them to stop them.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 am

Thank you Forrest.

Spud is 2 years old. I am using deer blood, cut with a little water, run through a blender and strained through cheese cloth so that it will spray through a hand pump house plant sprayer. The sprayer has volume markings on the side so I can accurately monitor the amount of blood I am putting down and allows me to direct the blood 3 feet off to the side of my boot track. About the best I can do on the boot vs the blood track. I sprayed every other step on that track, will wean that down as we progress.

I am thinking in this heat I may have to go to laying a track at last light and running it at first light. Which ages it longer than I would like but running tracks in heat is not a great alternative and for now I want daylight so I can better monitor the dog's work. I think the track looses less scent aging overnight than in the daylight heat and sunshine. Your thoughts on that?

HiCntry,

My GWPs have all had excellent natural ability for tracking, as well as retrieving on land and water, searching for and pointing upland birds. Without training they have no ques as to which of those tasks they are being asked to perform when I turn them loose. Particularly in a CRP field with quail around as demonstrated in the video. And there is training needed to ignore all the other wild game they encounter while being asked to track the blood trail of a specific wounded animal. And training builds tenacity for the task when the track gets difficult.

To your point, this pup tracked and recovered the first two deer I put him on with no prior training, the first when he was 10 months old on a track with no visible blood that went 250 yards.

Train a dog to mark and retrieve doves, waterfowl off of banks, marsh platforms, ground blinds, pit blinds, layout boats, jon boats, airboats, marshes, rivers, lakes, fields, marked and blind retrieves, upland birds of all kinds in all kinds of terrain steady to WSF, adjusting its search to cover and pointing with style and intensity, AND to track and recover wounded game, and you will have a better appreciation for the need for the training in this area.

As far as the innate ability to track, I observe the best tracking dogs are mostly born with the skill vs trained but they all get better with experience and that is what these drills provide. The drills teach ques for the track command and build focus in the dog for specific task/track until completed.

Hounds, Beagles, Curs, Terriers, Vdogs, I have hunted a great deal with all of them. They all benefit from training and experience. Some are more gifted than others but it is more common than not for young dogs to start a track and not finish it at times. Training and experience is needed to build tracking skills and these drills provide it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:40 am

I don't understand why people are needlessly passive aggressive here.

Cool video always interesting to see people expanding their dog's toolbox.
ForestDump
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:52 am

Nice video! Happy dog!

Here in the great state of Minnesota, it is less than legal to track big game, for any reason, with a dog.

Blows my mind, as I would love to track and recover deer with my dog. Seems like less waste would be a good thing???
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:52 am

ForestDump wrote:I don't understand why people are needlessly passive aggressive here.

Cool video always interesting to see people expanding their dog's toolbox.

They have a name on the internet: Trolls
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 am

Well said AG. It's not about teaching them to do it, it's the opportunity to do it. The teaching part is so the dog knows what the handler wants the dog to do. Human to dog, not dog to deer. The dog knows the last part.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:15 pm

jlw034 wrote:Nice video! Happy dog!

Here in the great state of Minnesota, it is less than legal to track big game, for any reason, with a dog.

Blows my mind, as I would love to track and recover deer with my dog. Seems like less waste would be a good thing???

Yes the laws in this area are frustrating.

MissKiwi, a Mutual Friend of ours with the IA DNR and myself tried to get something going to legalize it in Iowa this past session but it died out. I went a public meeting and gave supportive comments but all others in the room were silent. Non-Residents now wait 4 or more years to draw a NR tag to bowhunt their giant whitetails. If there was ever a state that should be glad to embrace Blood Tracking with dogs it is IA, but it is both disappointing and amazing how ignorant a lot of hunters are on the subject. Running coyotes with hounds is legal 24/7 year round but turning loose a handful highly trained tracking dogs is somehow going to ruin their sport...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 pm

AverageGuy wrote:

HiCntry,

My GWPs have all had excellent natural ability for tracking, as well as retrieving on land and water, searching for and pointing upland birds. Without training they have no ques as to which of those tasks they are being asked to perform when I turn them loose. Particularly in a CRP field with quail around as demonstrated in the video. And there is training needed to ignore all the other wild game they encounter while being asked to track the blood trail of a specific wounded animal. And training builds tenacity for the task when the track gets difficult.

To your point, this pup tracked and recovered the first two deer I put him on with no prior training, the first when he was 10 months old on a track with no visible blood that went 250 yards.

Train a dog to mark and retrieve doves, waterfowl off of banks, marsh platforms, ground blinds, pit blinds, layout boats, jon boats, airboats, marshes, rivers, lakes, fields, marked and blind retrieves, upland birds of all kinds in all kinds of terrain steady to WSF, adjusting its search to cover and pointing with style and intensity, AND to track and recover wounded game, and you will have a better appreciation for the need for the training in this area.

As far as the innate ability to track, I observe the best tracking dogs are mostly born with the skill vs trained but they all get better with experience and that is what these drills provide. The drills teach ques for the track command and build focus in the dog for specific task/track until completed.

Hounds, Beagles, Curs, Terriers, Vdogs, I have hunted a great deal with all of them. They all benefit from training and experience. Some are more gifted than others but it is more common than not for young dogs to start a track and not finish it at times. Training and experience is needed to build tracking skills and these drills provide it.

Thanks for the very informative reply AG. It got me to thinking about some of the differences in dogs themselves and, just as importantly, the environmental factors the pups/dogs are raised in. An example would be blood trailing, something I would consider to be natural to a dog. I never trained to trail or track anything, BUT, While I never participated in their training, I did partner the young dogs up with very experienced older dogs that were really good at it. I am sure you have seen a lot of that since hounds and such are run in packs normally.

It is obvious that you have the experience to understand what I said. It is just as obvious that a couple of posters didn't have a clue.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training