So how was your Memorial Day? (Or GPS collars are priceless)

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

So how was your Memorial Day? (Or GPS collars are priceless)

Postby ryanr » Tue May 29, 2018 2:20 pm

So, I've been a little lax in getting my new pup (she's 11 months old now) conditioned to the e-collar. I've had a couple of excuses, not any of them that good though. At any rate her exposure work is going well as we prepare for her NA test end of June. Sunday was another good day, she pointed all the pigeons and caught none. Since we ended training abruptly on Sunday because another dog got injured I woke up Monday and decided, help or no help, I'm getting the collar conditioning done.

Before breakfast I figured I'd run her and my older dog together in our training fields first for exercise and then put him up and do the collar conditioning on recall with her. Right now I, check cord or not, I put my Alpha collar on her just in case. Released the dogs, I'm watching my older dog in the field and about to whistle for Hazel as,she dipped into the woods about 40 yards ahead of me. Suddenly I hear loud yapping and watch as the GPS reads that she's at 40 yards then 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 (okay now I'm concerned), 400, 500 (yeah, it's a panic), 600 (heart attack), 700 (heart attack #2), 770 and then it starts reading in 10ths of a mile, .61, .71, .81 (I'm sick to my stomach now.)

My older dog and I are just walking thru the thick pine and laurel of this rugged area of the Poconos in Albrightsville. He's actually on her track. Do I just keep going or hike back out, get the car and drive around to try to head her off or something? Sh#t!!! I'm on my whistle and calling her name. I'm toning the collar too, anything but mostly I'm on the whistle of frequently and calling her name. As we get deeper into the woods and into rocks I'm also on the lookout for rattlesnakes as best I can while trying to covsr ground quickly. We're crossing streams, through a swamp. No idea where exactly I'm at or what property anymore. I start to feel some hope as we're back on yards and 700 turns into 600 but oh God now it's back to 700 and 750. Then it starts going back down. 600 again, thrn back up then down again. Now it's like 550. Then 500. I'm on the whistle and tone and calling her. 450, then 400, then 350. More whistle and her name. 300, oh please, 250, 200, 150, 100 (whistle and Hazel come, repeat), 50, 30, I see her! Drop to my knees as she runs right to me, tail wagging, tongue out and wet and happy. After we hike back out (she got a little impromptu collar conditioning on the way back) and find our way back to my vehicle I check the GPS, she did 4.5 miles in no time! Went home and I enjoyed a nice tall beer with breakfast! We did not go on our afternoon run, LOL.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: So how was your Memorial Day? (Or GPS collars are pricel

Postby jlw034 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:33 pm

That's terrifying.

Why do you think she bolted?
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue May 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Scary. All's well that ends well. But don't you love the Alpha at times like those!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue May 29, 2018 6:17 pm

jlw034 wrote:That's terrifying.

Well I'm pretty sure, from one of the tracks I found that she jumped some deer. That's why she got loud, that was her chasing game. Lots of Wirehairs and DDs do it, mostly on fur or chasing a duck across a pond in a duck search. That's her second deer chase but I haven't seen either one at the time it started so I didn't want to hit her with the collar.

This particular area is prime black bear, I mean prime black bear country, and coyote too. At one point I wondered if something grabbed her and ran off.

AG, yeah, thank God or I'd have been a complete mess. But she showed me something because on her track back she came almost straight back to me. I've always kind of felt that a sign of a good dog is that it finds it way back
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue May 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Good breakfast choice.

Around here, we gotta worry about Mountain Lions and other parts of the state, wolves. These kinds of things make all sorts of bad stuff run through our brains. Glad it worked out.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Tue May 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Alphas do enough stress relief that you should be able to claim them as a medical expense under preventative items!!

Good to read that you had one, and had it on. Not much good in the catalog or the gear bag.

Yeehaaa!! Glad it ended well!!
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby greg jacobs » Tue May 29, 2018 9:40 pm

ANick wrote:Alphas do enough stress relief that you should be able to claim them as a medical expense under preventative items!!

Good to read that you had one, and had it on. Not much good in the catalog or the gear bag.

Yeehaaa!! Glad it ended well!!

X2. Couldn't have said it any better.
greg jacobs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Spindog » Wed May 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Probably ran a deer. You need to fix that. Set her up to fail. Make sure she is running a deer and hot collar her. All the way up. I went through this exact thing last fall. My dog hit 1.4 miles. I was feeling just like you describe. I remember when he hit 1.4 I was flipping out!!
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed May 30, 2018 5:07 pm

We all know a Spin can't run that far. Try again.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Spindog » Thu May 31, 2018 7:46 am

orhunter wrote:We all know a Spin can't run that far. Try again.....

This was my Bracco. I think he is done with chasing them now. I test him once and a while. My Spinone never ran Deer or Setters or Pointers or any other fur animals. They figured out real soon that they never had a chance. :lol:
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu May 31, 2018 9:43 am

ryanr wrote:
jlw034 wrote:That's terrifying.

Well I'm pretty sure, from one of the tracks I found that she jumped some deer. That's why she got loud, that was her chasing game. Lots of Wirehairs and DDs do it, mostly on fur or chasing a duck across a pond in a duck search. That's her second deer chase but I haven't seen either one at the time it started so I didn't want to hit her with the collar.

This particular area is prime black bear, I mean prime black bear country, and coyote too. At one point I wondered if something grabbed her and ran off.

AG, yeah, thank God or I'd have been a complete mess. But she showed me something because on her track back she came almost straight back to me. I've always kind of felt that a sign of a good dog is that it finds it way back

Almost certainly a deer, with modern technology its easy eough to break them off of. Bunny Rabbits elicit a similar response but they keep a much tighter radius. And, every wirehair I've ever seen yelps swimming after cripple ducks or chasing fur.

I've had that moment once before. Dog disappeared after deer for a good 15 minutes at least, no response to the collar (and he was collar conditioned at that point.) Either he got out of its range (it was a relatively short range model) or it was about then that it malfunctioned. Bad enough that I called my wife to tell her I couldn't find the dog. Of course, approximately 30 seconds after I called her and she got in her car to come to the park I was walking, I hear a panting dog behind me, and he was back.

My big fear is always him chasing them into the road. Even in Bear country (and parts of NC have some enormous black bears.) Honestly, aside from houndsmen I've never heard of a dog taken out by a bear. Wolves, yes. Gators, yes though not in NC.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu May 31, 2018 11:34 am

Oh I'm 99% sure it was deer, we found tracks, etc. However I didn't see the beginning of the chase or actually any of it as a matter of fact so I wasn't going to use the collar on her (plus she's not fully collar conditioned- that was part of the OP.) When I break them off deer I want to see the beginning of the chase, if I don't I do not use the collar (at least not when I'm initially deer breaking them.)
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:17 pm

For sure not a good feeling when your pup runs off, thank god for tracking collars.
I had about the same thing happen when my DD pup was about 5 months old, thankfully I had a tracking collar on him, he hit a hot deer trail and was gone , sounded like a walker hound, he hit 900yards , really getting nervous, lot of bears, wolves, and coyote's. finely he back tracked to me. I said to myself that collar just paid for itself. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:03 am

Sounds like a too long, flat out, chase for a deer, they usually crap out in a couple hundred yards. My guess is a butterfly ;)

Happy she came back.
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:08 am

Ryan,

I recall very well taking my first GWP to Iowa to hunt pheasants when he was 7 months old. I had a TT collar but the technology at the time required color coded plug in cards with a predetermined level of stimulation stamped on it (1-5). The level of stimulation I would use around birds was insufficient to deter him from a hot fur race, and I was not ready to use the collar on the pup around birds anyway, so I did not strap it on him when we started our hunt.

We were hunting up a nice wholly draw of cover running through a field of nice grass with heavy timber all around the field when a big Iowa buck jumped up out of its bed right in front of my pup. The chase was on, yipping out of hearing. Wind blowing, my pup gone, on an out of state hunt where neither of us had walked before. He came back. We limited out on roosters shot over his points. I introduced the ecollar. Life got better. Everyone has one of these stories, we just pray they turn out well.

I am like you, I generally error on not starting trash breaking on a race I did not get any visual on. Could be a bobcat that I want to hunt with the dog down the road. So I go out early or late and find some deer feeding in an open area, collar up the pup and set him up for a silent correction...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion