Feeding before the hunt

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Feeding before the hunt

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am

I feed 2 times per day. In the morning after exercise and in the evening. On hunt days I will skip the morning feeding but when we wake up I do seed a bowl of water with a handful of kibble to encourage water consumption. Immediately following the hunt (i.e., at the truck) I mix in some maltodextrin and liver powder into a bowl of water to encourage muscle glucose replenishment and rehydration. When we get home I'll feed once (daily ration) or twice (split) depending on how close to dinner it is and supplement with extra protein/fat (egg, raw meaty bone, ground beef etc).
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jfwhit » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 pm

mtlhdr wrote:I feed 2 times per day. In the morning after exercise and in the evening. On hunt days I will skip the morning feeding but when we wake up I do seed a bowl of water with a handful of kibble to encourage water consumption. Immediately following the hunt (i.e., at the truck) I mix in some maltodextrin and liver powder into a bowl of water to encourage muscle glucose replenishment and rehydration. When we get home I'll feed once (daily ration) or twice (split) depending on how close to dinner it is and supplement with extra protein/fat (egg, raw meaty bone, ground beef etc).

How much maltodextrin and liver powder do you give? I was considering this after hunts. Just wanting you to be more specific. I have two dogs that are 50 pound range.
jfwhit
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 pm

I never worried about this stuff. My dogs have always been free fed so instead of consuming every thing in front of them they just graze a bit at a time.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 am

hicntry wrote:I never worried about this stuff. My dogs have always been free fed so instead of consuming every thing in front of them they just graze a bit at a time.

I free feed at home myself but it doesn't work well on a hunting trip. Even an all day trip where you're out the door early and home late.

I never thought about feeding them first thing if you aren't hunting til later in the day like SoDak. I probably wouldn't alter the "normal" schedule.

Think about it; you don't want to exercise after a big breakfast, either. But you wouldn't mind a big breakfast followed by a three hour drive followed by a hunt.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:58 am

jfwhit wrote:How much maltodextrin and liver powder do you give? I was considering this after hunts. Just wanting you to be more specific. I have two dogs that are 50 pound range.

1.5 grams per kilogram body weight. For a 50# dog that would be 34 grams. I add about 1/2 teaspoon of liver powder for flavor. I'll pre-weigh several servings at a time and put them in ziplock baggies. After the hunt, I'll pour the dry mix into a water bottle and shake it up until dissolved and then pour into a water bowl. I bought both the maltodextrin and liver powder on amazon.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Just to educate myself, can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

There are two reasons not to feed before hunting:
1) Less chance of Bloat
2) So as not to sap the dog by requiring blood to a stomach full of food
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JohnBallard » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:56 am

JONOV wrote:Just to educate myself, can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

There are two reasons not to feed before hunting:
1) Less chance of Bloat
2) So as not to sap the dog by requiring blood to a stomach full of food

You're right, but it all depends on the dog's eating habits. Like, I have always given my dogs half of their diet before hunting and once I tried to make them hunt empty stomach and I felt that they were less active than usual.
JohnBallard
Pup
Pup

Postby oldtimer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 pm

oldtimer wrote:If I am hunting at say 8, I will feed 1 cup of food when I get up. Say @6. Then I hunt my dogs. When I go for lunch, say a 2 hr break, I feed my dogs a half pound of deer or moose scraps. Then hunt on. At night before bed I feed them another half pound of raw meat with another cup of 30/20 premium dog food. I know it is against conventional wisdom, but I have found it to be the best way to keep my dogs fresh. I never give them much food at any one time. I have seen dogs die of bloat. The raw meat keeps them ripped and healthy. NOTHING KEEPS WEIGHT ON A DOG LIKE RAW ORGAN MEAT AND MUSCLE MEAT FED AT THE CORRECT RATIO.

This is exactly how I do it. Keeps the dogs hunting day after day. Feeding scraps helps with hydration as well.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:47 pm

I usually feed Otto at night after my dinner. On the morning of the hunt he might get a sausage biscuit sammich from the gas station. At the end of the hunt we might split a couple barley pops and grab some chicken nuggets or what ever is on the dollar menu for the ride home. After the last winter Olympics the Germans all drank beer instead of Gatorade after their events to aid in recovery. I gotta tell you it makes me and Otto feel better quicker! :wink:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion