Lena vom Slaney-Vale

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Lena vom Slaney-Vale

Postby jlw034 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Well, handed off Lena one last time to the father-in-law. She gets to hunt the closing weekend of SD while I work. Boo.

I'm sitting here, looking at the Invitational registration, wondering what to do. It's 13 hours away, on a week/end that I have to work. I get precious little vacation, and I don't know if I want to burn it for a test.

There's also the fact that I've done literally zero backing work, and that worries me. Choices, choices.

Also, $425! Not cheap!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Do you want Lena to learn to Back? If yes, there is nothing a like a Hunt Test to drive a guy to train for it.

Spud and I missed our shot at trying for a VC this past September. Will never have an easier opportunity either, as the Inv was run on the same grounds he ran/passed his UT. Close enough for us to drive up and back on the day of the test. Training for Backing would have been our biggest challenge as well. The dates of the Inv were right over the top of my archery elk hunt in NM and there was no way I was going to miss that for a hunt test.

My vote is sign up. I fully expect you two will pass if you do.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 am

jlw034 wrote:Well, handed off Lena one last time to the father-in-law. She gets to hunt the closing weekend of SD while I work. Boo.

I'm sitting here, looking at the Invitational registration, wondering what to do. It's 13 hours away, on a week/end that I have to work. I get precious little vacation, and I don't know if I want to burn it for a test.

There's also the fact that I've done literally zero backing work, and that worries me. Choices, choices.

Also, $425! Not cheap!

It seems like most guys have done little/no backing work. But that doesn't mean it can't be taught.

Some guys train and test their dog for hunting tests. Other guys train their hunting dog using tests as a benchmark. Good luck whatever you do.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion