"Off Season" Hunting

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: "Off Season" Hunting

Postby Deacon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Sous vide at 170 degrees for 44 hours, after curing them. They were very good. Just like lean corned beef.
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Deacon wrote:Rowdy,

You and I are cut from the same cloth. I am a pretty good cook and am willing to try anything, at least once.

After a lifetime of hearing that you cannot eat bowfin I decided I would try and dis-spell that myth. I caught a mess of bullhead along with one, medium sized bowfin on a really cold spring night. Taking them home I was too tired to clean them right away. I left them in a bucket and dumped a bunch of ice over them. The next morning I get up to clean the fish and find that the ice which had melted had turned the same color as antifreeze! Now, I am willing to work with just about any meat, but that was too much for me! Later that day my 11 year old son comes asking me what happened to "his ice cubes". Apparently he had used green food coloring to make green ice cubes!

Here is what I have been up to for "off season" hunting. After nearly a decade of watching these SOB's circle and then leave without presenting a shot, we banged them up a bit on St. Patrick's Day! Corned snow goose gizzards, goose heart omelets, and schnitzel has been on the menu all week at my place!
snow goose1.JPG

gypsy snow goose.JPG

Deacon, that is pretty funny about the green ice cubes! I nailed a second otter (now I am at my season quota) in a trap yesterday. Eating otter backstraps in a curry tonight for dinner. We will see how it turns out. Like you said, I am willing to try just about anything.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Update on eating otter. The flavor is very strong -- not unpleasant -- just very strong (one of the most unique flavored meats I have tried). I did otter curry over jasmine rice. I think the strong flavor of curry helped compliment the strong flavor of the otter. I would definitely eat otter again. Still have some in the freezer but may try some of my geese recipes on the next otter meal.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:22 am

Not sure if you are selling your hides or not but I have had several of my trapped beavers tanned and find them beautiful to have around. Might be something that interests you in doing with yours perhaps.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:02 pm

AG, those are some nice lookin' beaver pelts. I will probably end up selling a lot of the pelts I get, but I do plan on keeping a few for myself. Gotta pay for the gas of driving around trapping somehow lol. I'm also having a wallet made out of the tail from the first beaver I ever trapped.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:28 pm

Awesome on the snow geese, corn feed snows a very good to eat.
I will go along with eating a beaver , they are good , BUT a otter I don't no, you try it first. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Drahthaar1108 wrote:Awesome on the snow geese, corn feed snows a very good to eat.
I will go along with eating a beaver , they are good , BUT a otter I don't no, you try it first. Forrest

See above comment. I ate it. Strong flavor but not bad at all. I'll be eating the rest of it that I have in the freezer at some point. Not nearly as good as beaver though. Like a mix of bear, honker and something else.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Hunting & Firearms