Matched Set

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Matched Set

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:11 pm

We are on into our 5th day of freezing rain with all surfaces ice coated. I made it out yesterday on the Ranger to fill a couple of feeders and ran into a small covey of quail that were weak and basically just hopped out of the way a short distance. Our uptick in Quail numbers may be short lived.

Spud and I had to get out for a walkabout behind the house this afternoon. We went into the center of our sanctuary timber where I never go except to shed hunt a couple of times a year. Looked up and here came Spud carrying this shed to me.

I praised him and took the shed. He went back the direction he came from and I see this.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Matched Set

Postby marysburg » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Very nice. I love the pics, especially the eyeroll in the first one. Hope the quail get dried off and live to reproduce in the spring. Thanks for spreading a little feed for them. That Spud is a good looker.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Next years freezer filler. Good boy Spud.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:29 am

nice find Spud!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 pm

Awesome. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:17 am

Did you train Spud to find sheds ? If so how did you go about it ?
I would like to get my DD pup started with shed's . Thanks Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 am

Yes, I have tried to train him to find and retrieve sheds since he was a baby. I gave him a small fresh shed to play and chew on, and did play retrieve with it. Then I started tossing it into high grass and bringing him in downwind, he would find it and retrieve to me and I would make a big deal over it. Anytime I found a fresh shed I did the same. These two he found were fresh and apparently putting out alot of scent and he was very excited over them. Time will tell how often he is able to come up with them. He is hunting for game not sheds when he runs but he will pick them up when he smells them. He retrieves dead heads and legs to me a lot more often than sheds so the behavior of returning to me with what he finds is very engrained.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Thanks, yes my pup brings me all kids of deer bones in the yard, had no clue their were that many hidden around the yard.
I have read they sell training scent for shed antlers, don't no if it works. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:57 am

OK,
Really nice getting an antler, better getting both!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:45 am

I am afraid if I got Otto started on sheds there would be a deer in them when he brings one back.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:25 pm

Versatility at it's best. Nice set of sheds. And like LH said, I'm just waiting for your next pic of Spud carrying a pair of sheds back to you with the fur still attached.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:58 am

Yea, Spud would be all in on getting ahold of a deer if I let him. Coyotes too.

Part of the attraction of the breed for me is for blood tracking/recovering deer or turkeys when I need the help. So my "Deer Breaking" method is alot more subtle than just turning up the ecollar and giving the dog a severe allergic reaction to smelling or running a deer. My aim is to teach him that running live healthy deer is not to be done but the ones putting out some blood scent are fair game. He is still a work in progress in that area and if he has a chance to sight run a deer for a short distance he is not above it. If fact he did just that just a short distance from where we found the sheds, yipping as he went. When I saw white tails bouncing through the woods with the yipping not far behind, some low level stimulation restored order without giving him a "I want no part of that ever again" attitude that I would use to break a hound or a beagle.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms