Snipe

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Snipe

Postby Bigearl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Well this is what we've resorted to. Walking the river bottom pastures pass shooting snipe. Every once in a while you flush one in range, but not typically. They tend to swing around pass back over where they flushed. LONG shots, 45-50 yards on average! Full chokes and a dose of #8 are the order of the day. Any body else getting after these little boogers?
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Snipe

Postby orhunter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:53 pm

The season is never open around here when the numbers are the highest. I know a great spot but gotta let them fly.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:33 pm

I've heard of those taking snipe over a pointing dog but the areas they frequent here that's not possible. They'll be in very very short cover around small flooded pot holes with no cover to pin a bird.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Snipe are one of the few birds reliably present here in Louisiana I’ve found. Pass shooting them when one makes a mistake and doubles back on me is the order of the day for us too. Generally though they flush 40 or more yds away, out of the center of fields they are in. Usually in pairs if not many more.

I’ve also heard they will hold for a point in the right cover, but I haven’t found it yet either. We’ll go out woodcock or quail hunting and end up with a few snipe generally.

Makes for good retrieving practice for the pups I guess.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:59 pm

It's always a ton of fun to get into good numbers of snipe. I haven't really seen many since I moved to North Idaho, but I remember having some good days on them back in Oregon, after the first or second freeze.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sat May 05, 2018 8:30 pm

I was driving across northern MO and southern Iowa a few weeks back and got caught in a pretty good snow for several hours. Eventually I drove out of it westbound, the sun came out and the roads melted quickly. What was interesting, and made me think of this thread, was the absurd number of snipe that were on and around the road for many, many miles. I probably saw 200 or 300 snipe in a 20 or 30 mile stretch of county hwy either on or flying to/from the road I was on.

I couldn’t figure out what they were doing on the road, unless they just wanted to get out of the snow!?
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms