New 20 ga Citori!

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New 20 ga Citori!

Postby Willie T » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 pm

Early this week I was in the local gun store to pick up some reloading supplies and like always the first thing I did was eyeball the shotguns. I'm a lefty so most often it is an excercise in frustration. Being the eternal optimist I repeatedly put myself through it. Well about halfway down the rack there is a sweet looking little 20 guage Citori white lightning looking back at me. I can see it has 28" barrels and pretty nicely figured walnut. It looks about as pretty as a high school girl all dressed up for the prom. So I asked the guy behind the counter for a better look at it. This is the part where all lefties are usually reminded they are a minority, and shotguns usually don't fit. The first thing I noticed was it is pretty trim. The balance is just the way I like it, and the dimensions of the wood fit my big hands near perfect. So I cracked it open to make sure it was empty and looked at the mounted duck on the wall, closed my eyes and mounted it. Although a little heavier than most 20's, it felt good. Real good. When I opened my eyes, dang, I was dead center of the rib and smack dab on the ducks head. Well I had to do that again. Same thing! I flipped it over and looks from the muzzle, low and behold it appears to have just a dab of cast on. It put a serious dent in the rat hole fund but no way was I gonna let it slip past me. I bought it on the spot! Got it home and cleaned it up and it has a measured 1/8" cast on! Browning claims them to all be cast neutral but somehow this one is not. It weighs 6.5 lb on my digital fish scale. Got to shoot a round of skeet with it today!and shot a 22! Not as light as a lot of 20's but it points easy and fast. On the pattern board the barrels have perfect regulation and it patterns 50/50. Gonna tote it 7 or 8 miles tomorrow, but I think it may move the beretta to backup next week in Kansas.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: New 20 ga Citori!

Postby Bigearl » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Well if like your citori's as much as I do mine, then you're in for a treat! I like my 20 better than the 12 for long days. The 12 is hunter model so it chamber for 3 1/2. It's a little beafer but it helps when running 3 1/2 duck/goose loads through there. Enjoy! If you don't like it, let me know. My old lady is a lefty :D
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:02 am

Every now and then the stars line up just right. Gotta act when they do. Good find.

There's a guy with a similar gun for sale in 28 ga. on the local outdoor website but like you, most guns don't fit me. Hate to take a long drive to look at it and come home empty handed. I was looking to get a up scale 28 ga. O/U a while back, Zoli, Guerini, but the nearest dealer is in San Francisco. Kinda lost interest after that.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Sounds like you found your soulmate. :D
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Willie T wrote:.....On the pattern board the barrels have perfect regulation------

Glad you found one with a nice fit and that you actually took the time to shoot at a pattern board. I do have a question about perfect barrel regulation.....please explain.

Same situation almost except I added another 20ga. Beretta to the safe. The other Beretta and Citori will soon see limited time.

Click for larger picture....
20180120_120814 (1024x576).jpg

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Willie T wrote:.....On the pattern board the barrels have perfect regulation------

Glad you found one with a nice fit and that you actually took the time to shoot at a pattern board. I do have a question about perfect barrel regulation.....please explain.

Same situation almost except I added another 20ga. Beretta to the safe. The other Beretta and Citori will soon see limited time.

Click for larger picture....
20180120_120814 (1024x576).jpg

cr

Both barrels have the exact same point of impact at 30 yards. It is fairly common with over unders for one barrel to shoot higher than the other. When the barrels are put together, lining up where they hit in relation to each other is regulating them. It is suprising how many doubles are poorly regulated. There are enough of them that Briley manufactures indexed choke tubes to move the pattern. That is a fairly common fix to get both barrels hitting the same place.

Both barrels patterning 50/50, aka flat, suits the way I shoot.

sweet beretta!
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms