Redneck 3gun

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Redneck 3gun

Postby LongHammer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:30 pm

So my brother has a good friend that shoots 3gun so we got to thinking it might be fun to set up a little course and try it for ourselves. I know of a box canyon with a bunch of t posts from an old mining operation. We took boxes of clay pigeons for targets and set up a small but fun course. First thing that came to light was man can those 3gun guys shoot a pistol on the move. We found some of their routine shots crazy hard with the blood pumping. So we did pistol targets then shotgun targets added 2 clays from my launcher then on to the AR portion of the program. 50 then 100 yard clays on t posts and in the sand. It was fun shooting the tops clean off of those T posts. That is when things got a little sideways. Put away your pistol put away your shotgun because shooting flying clay pigeons with an AR is the funnest shooting I have had since I found tannerite. When those clays left the launcher it sounded like storming the beach at Normandie. I was smiling so wide and laughing so hard I was getting face cramps. Once I got the lead down which is 0 it was easier than I thought it would be. I finished at about a bit under 50% of the targets hit I won't mention the amount of bullets I sent down range after each one but I only had 1 1 timer. After a season of shooting birds half the time I don't think i was even aiming quantity over quality. After all shooting is fun. I am going to be reloading for a month before I can go again. Let the lectures on gun safety from morons that weren't there begin! :shock:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Redneck 3gun

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 pm

That sounds like about the most fun a guy should be allowed to have. And hitting a clay pigeon with an AR has gotta be challenging to say the least. Lecture, schmecture, it sounds like in a box canyon, with high backdrops you were being safe. I don't take you to be someone to take gun safety lightly.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 am

RowdyGSP wrote:That sounds like about the most fun a guy should be allowed to have. And hitting a clay pigeon with an AR has gotta be challenging to say the least.

We thought it would be impossible. Red dot /magnifier both eyes open it was like shooting teal that don't turn. It ain't easy but. Suprisingly not as hard as we though.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:18 am

That sounds like pure dee fun. When I was growing up we had a place with a good back drop where one of my uncles and me used to shoot clays with a launcher and .22's. Once you get on them it's doable...
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:06 am

I've watched it on TV a couple of times. Looks like a blast. Literally.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms